Hardwood floors bring classic beauty and warmth to a room while increasing the value of the home.
- Hardwood flooring is available in a variety of species, stains and widths. For a timeless and traditional look, 3 to 4 inch wide planks are most common. But for a more modern look, wood planks can be 5 to 8 inches wide.
- Hardwood flooring offers a great opportunity for customization, as the choice of species, stains, and finishes all contribute to the personalization of a solid floor.
- Low maintenance cleaning and care will protect your investment and keep your hardwood floor looking beautiful for the lifetime of your home.
Types of Hardwood Styles
Solid wood is made from one continuous piece of wood, most commonly 3/4″ thick.
Because of it’s tendency to shrink and expand with extreme temperature and humidity changes, it is recommended to have a climate controlled environment when choosing solid wood for the home.
Engineered Wood Flooring
Engineered wood is also 100% wood, but is different in it’s construction.
It’s made from layers of wood stacked and glued together under heat and pressure. There are usually three to seven layers (plies) stacked with grains running perpendicular to each other. The top finish layer can be cut from a variety of domestic or exotic hardwood species and is generally factory prefinished with a polyurethane or an aluminum oxide finish. Engineered wood is more dimensionally stable than solid hardwood because the layers keep heat and humidity in balance. Because it is less inclined to swell and shrink, engineered wood can be installed in areas where solid wood cannot such as over concrete or in high-moisture areas.
Exotic hardwood is the term used to describe hardwood species from around the world.
These hardwood species come from Australia, Africa, South America and the Far East and offer unique wood graining and color variations. Most exotic woods are available in engineered wood construction, but some are available in solid hardwood planks as well. Bamboo, Amendoim and Jatoba are examples of exotic hardwood.
Warranties and Guarantees
- Lifetime installation warranty
- Exclusive lifetime warranty with Abbey & our manufacturers
- Abbey 60-Day Guarantee on carpet installations